Learn the Fundamental Skills of Digital Media Design and Production to build a career in digital animation, game design and more!
In 12 weeks, you will be on your way to a successful career in the $300 billion Digital Media industry.
We live in a digital world, and elements of digital media design are all around us. This bootcamp will allow you to learn the fundamentals of digital media design and production. You will develop skills in commercial animation, digital game design, and computer generated graphics (CGI) utilizing the latest software development tools popular in the industry today.
The average digital media professional makes about $60,000 a year and the demand for digital media designers and developers grew by over 600% in 2017.
This bootcamp will introduce you to a variety of tools and techniques. We’ll provide you with space and time for creativity and exploration, allowing you to dive deeper into the technologies that most interest you and that align with your bootcamp projects.
By the end of this intensive and fun experience, bootcamp participants will create a portfolio of digital projects that will demonstrate to employers that you have the skills it takes to add technical value and creativity to their organization.
Adam Greenhood, CEO
Why Digital Media
Digital media is a universal skill set that applies to numerous industries. Demand for digital media design professionals is growing not only amongst high-tech or entertainment companies but other sectors such as healthcare, education, scientific research, and more. Having demonstrated skills in both the design and technical aspects of digital media production will prepare you for a rewarding and fun career.
For example, in the healthcare industry alone, a study done by Accenture (2018) found that the need for digital media professionals in the industry has become critical and is expected to grow.
Due to New Mexico’s growing film industry and because Netflix has chosen Albuquerque as the location for their new production facility, MovieMaker.com has listed Albuquerque as the “Best Place to Live and Work as a Moviemaker,” making New Mexico a great place to start your digital media career!
“Driven by experiences outside of healthcare, consumers increasingly expect to use digital technologies to control when, where and how they receive care services,” explained Kaveh Safavi, M.D., J.D.
May 2019 Bootcamp – SOLD OUT!
Dates: May 20 – August 9
Application Deadline: May 3
September 2019 Bootcamp
Dates: September 16 – December 6
Application Deadline: August 16
Full-time, Immersive Schedule:
Monday – Thursday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Location: CNM STEMulus Center (map)
Find housing options and learn more about Albuquerque
- Experience with the Windows, OS X, or Linux Ubuntu operating system.
- Practical user-level understanding of the Internet – e.g. using a modern internet browser such as Chrome, or Firefox browser to navigate the World Wide Web and download files.
- Fundamental computers skills, including basic use of the keyboard and mouse, as well as higher-level actions for file management (moving, copying, and deleting files).
- Functional use of digital peripheral devices such as digital cameras, mobile devices (smartphone/computer tablet), external drives and other digital tools.
Pre-Bootcamp (Before the program starts)
- Pre-work will be assigned to you before the bootcamp starts. All the resources used in the pre-work are accessible online.
Commercial animation (weeks 1 – 3)
- Develop an animated commercial for a real business utilizing modern tools like Vyond (Formally GoAnimate)
- Learn aspects of structured digital storyboarding and project management
- Incorporate elements of digital narration and sound into your animated commercial
- Learn and practice aspect of post production digital editing
- Learn how to display and distribute your commercial using social media platforms
Design and development of computer generated graphics (weeks 4 – 6)
- Create video clips that incorporate original computer generated graphics
- Learn the design, development, and application of digital augmented reality
- Create and edit video footage captured on mobile devices and displayed in 3d environments
- Develop skills in chroma color green screen tools and software
Digital game development (weeks 7 – 10)
- Learn the fundamental aspects of game design using the iterative design process and game theory
- Create a digital game for mobile devices ready for publication and distribution using popular mobile game development engines
- Learn technology tools such as Stencyl and Scratch to discover why block coding can be a powerful way to develop games
- Explore the technical and practical aspects of ‘serious gaming’
Digital media capstone project (week 11-12)
- Students will work individually and in teams to create a unique digital media project that showcases their newly developed skills in animation, CGI, AR, and game design/development
- Showcase your digital media capstone project and other elements of your newly developed digital media portfolio to prospective employers and the community
$7,995* is the discounted price for New Mexico residents.
$8,995* for out-of-state applicants.
Learn more about how to pay for the bootcamp.
*prices and dates subject to change.
Reserve Your Seat Now: A $1,500 non-refundable deposit is required prior to the application deadline in order to reserve your seat. The remaining course fees must be paid in full by the application deadline.
Dr. Rod Sanchez
At Intel, Rod founded and managed Intel’s worldwide Community Solutions Program – this multi- billion dollar program paired Intel technologists and resources with industry experts outside of Intel in various industries to create new products. Rod led the development of the first wireless hospital in Italy, the first wireless school in Central America, the first robotic pharmacy in the US, and many other technical projects around the world.
Later, Rod collaborated with DreamWorks Animation SKG to develop a new technical model for rendering animated images used in motion pictures from geographically remote locations. This new technical model was used in the production of Academy Award® nominated movies such as Shrek Forever After, Kung Fu Panda 2, How to Train Your Dragon, Despicable Me, and Puss in Boots. This technical process has since become an animated motion picture industry standard.
Rod is the author of the Ben and IQ ExploreTM children’s illustrated book series. This series, which premiered during the spring 2017, entertains and educates children on various topics from gardening to healthcare.
Rod maintains his academic roots and actively works with schools and universities around the US to develop digital media production training initiatives. Rod plays an active role in the community. He served on the Board of Directors of the Los Alamos National Laboratory Foundation, the Board of Advisors for the United States Department of Energy, the board of advisors for the Los Alamos National Laboratory Venture Acceleration Fund, the Board of Directors of the Center for Hands on Learning, a member of the HP Production Studio Advisory Council, a Visiting Professor in the school of Business, Media, and Technology at New Mexico Highlands University, an Adjunct Professor in University of New Mexico’s Interdisciplinary Film and Digital Media program, the Founder and Director of the Innovation Laboratory, the Founder and Director of the “Dream Factory” technology incubator, and a member of numerous motion picture, technology, science, and digital media industry organizations.
Rod speaks nationally about the important relationship between emerging media, education, and world economy.
Other FAQsWhy is Design and Development taught in the same bootcamp?
What types of jobs will I be ready for after attending this bootcamp?
This bootcamp will equip you with perhaps the most powerful tool for getting a job in the digital media industry: a digital project portfolio. This portfolio will demonstrate to employers that you have the proven skills necessary to add an element of creativity to their business or organization. You will have the skills to help a business or organization transform themselves using digital tools and technologies. We have spoken directly to numerous start-up and established companies (big and small) in New Mexico and they all value and would employ people with a comprehensive digital media skill set.
Is a deposit required to register?