Learn the Fundamentals of Software Engineering, Get Certified by Oracle
In 12 Weeks, you will be on your way to a New, Lucrative Career as a Software Engineer
This Deep Dive Coding Bootcamp will allow you to learn the fundamentals of software engineering utilizing Java, the world’s most popular programming language. We will teach you how to build modern, in-demand software that runs on and integrates multiple platforms including. Graduate with truly marketable, high-income skills.
Software Developers are in demand everywhere, including here in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where the unemployment rate for developers is just 1.8%. Jobs requiring coding skills pay an average of $22,000 per year more than jobs that don’t. Developers often have the opportunity to work in a flexible environment, on their own schedule, or even remotely. Working as an independent contractor is a common career choice as well, a chance to be your own boss!
– Renay Moya, Sr. Vice President, New Mexico Technology Market
Why You Should Learn Java
For years Java has ranked at the top of industry-wide rankings of programming languages in terms of usage, popularity and employer demand. The versatility of Java, combined with its extensive ecosystem of tools, has made it indispensable for writing code that operates across multiple platforms, including in mission-critical enterprise software environments.
Android operating system is the world’s most popular phone operating system, with nearly two billion devices in use worldwide and an 88% market share. A knowledge of Java and Android is a door into the world of mobile apps and app development. Android apps don’t just run on billions of phones and tablets, they can also run on wearable devices, smart TVs, and cars. Java is the foundational programming language of Android and the backend to many other JVM compatible languages such as Scala, Kotlin and Groovy.
September 2018 Bootcamp – SOLD OUT!
Dates: September 24 – December 14
Application Deadline: August 27
January 2019 Bootcamp
Dates: January 21 – April 12
Application Deadline: December 14
Other 2019 start dates:
May 20 and September 23
Full-time, Immersive Schedule:
Monday – Thursday: 8 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Location: CNM STEMulus Center (map)
Find housing options and learn more about Albuquerque
Learn the Code
- Programming with the Java language
- Object-oriented programming
- Version control with Git and GitHub
- Build automation and dependency management with Maven, Gradle, and Ant
- Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
- Unit testing with JUnit
- Javadoc for code documentation
- Using relational databases with SQL, JDBC, and JPA
- Object-relational mapping with Hibernate and Room
- Apache Derby DB and SQLite relational database management systems (RDBMS)
- SOAP and REST web services
- Java/Jakarta Enterprise Edition with the Tomcat application server and Spring framework
- Application deployment with AWS and Docker
- Android SDK
- Agile methodologies
You’ll become proficient with tools and techniques for programming, debugging, testing, collaboration, and version control while you build skills in Agile software development, test-driven development, and other practices and methodologies used by today’s best software shops.
You will strengthen your hard and soft skills working on your own personal project and collaborating as a member of a capstone project team.
- Experience with the Windows, OS X, or Linux Ubuntu operating system.
- Basic mathematical skills (at least high school algebra).
- Practical user-level understanding of the Internet – e.g. using the Chrome or Firefox browser to navigate the World Wide Web and download files.
- Fundamental computers skills, including basic use of the keyboard and mouse, as well as higher-level actions for file management (moving, copying, and deleting files).
Pre-Bootcamp (Before the program starts)
Pre-work will be assigned to you before the bootcamp starts. All the resources used in the pre-work are accessible online.
Introduction and Discovery (Weeks 1-3)
- Learn to use a suite of development tools.
- Learn programming concepts through Java syntax and structure.
- Understand and implement fundamental algorithms.
- Learn and apply object-oriented and functional techniques.
- Use the Javadoc tool and code comments to generate API documentation.
- Leverage JUnit to write reliable, verifiable code.
- Implement relational data models in SQL databases and integrate them into your Java code with JDBC.
- Learn the basics of dependency management and build automation with Maven, Gradle, and Ant.
- Learn the basics of Swing and JavaFX to build portable GUI applications.
- Explore the Android SDK through the development of a number of simple Android apps.
- Acquire the disciplines and habits of computational thinking and intensive daily coding.
- Exercise and expand your skills through exploratory development of your own projects.
- Form teams for your capstone project.
Extended Platforms and Environments (Weeks 4-6)
- Use Java’s concurrency features to take advantage of multiprocessing environments.
- Explore other JVM-hosted languages, including Groovy and Scala.
- Use Java Enterprise Edition to build and consume web services.
- Reinforce your practices and knowledge base through team and individual projects.
- Design and begin building your team capstone project.
- Begin implementing your personal Android project.
Execution and Deployment (Weeks 7-12)
- Immerse yourself in your team capstone project.
- Create clean, functional, verified and documented code.
- Build out your personal and digital brands.
- Demonstrate your team capstone projects to employers, staffing agencies and others in the tech community.
- Complete your personal development project.
- Complete resume and mock interviews.
- Graduate and find a job or begin working on freelance development projects.
Get College Credit
After you have completed this bootcamp, you will receive a certificate of completion, not a degree. You can receive Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) from Central New Mexico Community College (CNM). Successful completion of the bootcamp is worth 12 credit hours at CNM. Please work with our program manager for more details.
Get Certified by Oracle
After you have successfully completed this bootcamp, you will receive an exam voucher for the Java SE 8 Programmer I exam for Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 8 Programmer certification.
$8,995* is the discounted price for New Mexico residents.
$9,995* for out-of-state applicants.
Learn more about how to pay for the bootcamp.
*Prices and dates subject to change.
Reserve Your Seat Now: A $1,500 non-refundable deposit is required prior to the application deadline in order to reserve your seat. The remaining course fees must be paid in full by the application deadline.
In 1994, Nick began running workshops on business process redesign and automation, targeted to teams of designers and programmers. After moving to New Mexico in 1997, he began working with a number of secondary educational programs, teaching computer programming, modeling, and simulation in after-school and summer programs. This educational work expanded to leading workshops on applied complexity theory and agent-based modeling for teachers in New Mexico and other states, and for health and social policy professionals and academics in Cuba and the Dominican Republic. Website | GitHub
Chris Hughes has been a software developer for more than 10 years. He has worked for several different organizations as a Software Engineer including Union Pacific, UNM, Samba Safety and Lavu. He most enjoys developing apps independently and has built an app for the Albuquerque bus system called Albuquerque Where’s The Bus, which people all over the city use every day.
Other FAQsWhy are Java and Android taught in the same bootcamp?
Android is by far the world’s most popular mobile operating system, with nearly two billion devices in use worldwide and an 88% market share. Java is the primary programming language of Android.
What types of jobs will I be ready for after attending Deep Dive Java + Android ?
What is the schedule like?
Is a deposit required to register?